Saturday, March 19, 2011

I'm probably jinxing myself right now...

 ...but I'm going to go ahead and say it. Conor is potty trained!

I don't remember if I've chronicled our adventures in potty training here or not. Probably not because there have been some EPIC battles which have left both of us in tears and I've probably felt too embarrassed to write about it here.

So, nearly a year ago I decided that it was time to start potty training Conor. Originally I had felt ok about having two kids in diapers but upon telling people about this I was looked at in such horror and disgust that I immediately changed my mind. You know, so that other people wouldn't think I was...well whatever I was thinking at that time.

I learned about the 3-day potty training system and after hearing ringing endorsements from a couple friends decided that this was the route to go.

I won't go into details but it was, in a word, AWFUL. So, so, SO bad. I had to have been seven and a half months pregnant at the time, I was finishing up my last term at school and awash in pregnancy hormones.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

So, we gave up. And thank goodness we did. UGh. It was bad.

We kept trying intermittently over the next several months but Conor would not go on the potty. He would hold it for upwards of six to eight hours, then commit a timeout-worthy offense then pee in timeout. We would rush him to the potty, he would hold it some more than complain about his tummy hurting. Poor guy.

A couple of weeks ago though we ran out of diapers. I told Conor he needed to wear underpants until I could get to the store. The day got away from me and soon Conor ran up to me, said he needed to go potty (this in and of itself was not unusual) but when he sat on the potty he actually WENT IN THE POTTY.

That was almost two weeks ago and he's been dry ever since. He's refused to wear a diaper at nap or at night but has kept dry while sleeping too.

Since Finley is now in cloth diapers and Conor is now in underpants we are saving more than $60 per month in disposable diapers. So awesome.

(I can't believe I just wrote an entire post about pee. I'm a little disgusted with myself.)


No comments: